In the Land of Living Skies: Expanding Horizons in Education and the Law
CAPSLE is pleased to invite presenters and participants to the 2017 conference, to be held from April 30 – May 2, at the Sheraton Cavalier, Saskatoon, SK. The conference will be of interest to all those interested in how the law can affect leaders in education, including educators, lawyers, school board officials, board staff, faculty, students, parents and representatives of professional organizations, academia and government.
Paul Clarke and Linda Stanviloff, Conference Planning Committee Co-Chairs
We are pleased to note that the following will be among the topics being presented:
- Teacher freedom of expression and privacy rights, including contemporary surveillance practices
- Accommodation issues, including the “Exclusion Provision” and its impact on the rights of students with disabilities
- The perspective of school principals on workplace mistreatment
- Transgender issues and the duty to accommodate
- Labour updates
- Restorative workplace investigations
- Cultural and religion issues
- Social media and employee discipline
- Sexual misconduct and human sexuality in the school context
- Ethics in education and educators’ behavior both on and off the job
- Dealing with problematic parents
- Pre-service teachers’ legal literacy and experiences with legal issues in practicum settings
- Responses to Children Self-injurious behaviours
- Practical and legal issues for school board in the use of schools as community hubs
- Ontario evolution of terms and conditions for principals and vice-principals.
- Law and students evaluations and the concept of teacher “discretion”
- Risk management and safe schools
- Hiring, promoting and staffing pitfalls and best practices
- Enjeux juridiques vis-à-vis le pouvoir de réprimander le comportement d’un élève, employé ou membre.
- Family Status Accommodation
- Duty to report suspected child abuse
- Sex education monopoly – parents vs the state
- Youth Criminal Justice Act and privacy rights of children and youth in Ontario
- Bullying and cyberbullying
- Health and Safety issues in schools
If you have any questions about the conference, please contact CAPSLE.
Phone: (905) 702-1710
Fax: (905) 873-0662